Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Tue. 2017-Dec-05 AM

Morning in Arusha, Tanzania


After three long flights, an hour drive, and 24 hours of travel time we arrived
in Arusha, the third largest city in Tanzania. Arusha is the tourism hub of
Tanzania, the safaris and Kilamanjaro treks start here. After meeting and
hanging out with the rest of the Duquesne party, I went to bed and slept well
until dawn.

We are staying at the Spiritan Guest House in Arusha. It is basic
hostel-like accomodations. Simple rooms, mine is single occupancy, and
separate toilet and shower rooms in the hall. Twice in the night I was awakened
by the furious barking of dogs. We were warned that would be the case, and
I quickly dropped back off to sleep.

I awoke and showered before the rest of the party. I am enjoying this quiet
morning. I started reading from _Champange for the Soul_ by Mike Mason. It is
a meditative 90-day experiment in joy. In the background from time to time
I hear quiet drums and singing in the other corner of the guesthouse. It
sounds like a morning service. There is an atmosphere of peace here.
I met one of the Spiritans, Father Casmir, and he confirmed they have a mass
here every morning at 7:00 AM.

The weather is very pleasant. This morning is it cool in a T-shirt. The sky is
overcast. Last night they pointed out nearby Mount Meru, the second largest
mountain in Tanzania. This morning I can see two nearby peaks, but they look
too small to be Meru.

Our party will have breakfast together at 8:30 and at 9:30 a tour host will
brief us and we will spend the day in Arusha shopping and visiting a reptile
show. Think snakes, mambas, vipers and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment