Sunday, May 13, 2018

I Soloed!

Today I went out by myself for the first time. My solo experience. Any time I have encounterd a new culture, I have viewed it as an exciting learning process.

Background

The cell plans we use in the USA do not work overseas. Well, we can text cheaply on our T-Mobile plan, but we do not have data and voice is expensive. So I brought an old phone, moved my SIM card to it, and wanted to buy a prepaid SIM card with data here. Duquesne also sent along several hotspots or access points that need SIM data cards. Ryan and Zarek had found two days ago what may be the only shop in Bagamoyo that could initiate a new SIM card, so my plan was to buy a 2 GB card for my phone and a 10 GB card for the hotspot. 

Kim, Ryan and I set out about 11 AM. We walked about a half mile back toward town along the main road to the vendor. I would not have seen the place. It is just one of many small shacks set up along the highway. The place is barely big enough for two chairs. It is named Tigo Adon. It was closed. However the culture here is very communal. The man in the shop next to Adon's said he would be in at 1:00, or maybe 3:00, so we said we would be back.

There are several things to unpack in this exchange. First, because of the communal nature of the Tanzanian culture, the vendor did not want his friend to lose business, so he helped us out with information. Just like his friend would help him out. Second, it seems like people do not like to say "No" to someone, so they offer information even if the information is not correct. We thought it likely that the neighbor knew this friend might open in the afternoon, so he gave us a time. Then a different time. But he was being helpful. Third, the Tanzanian culture is not time, task, and schedule based, it is relationship based, so people are often late even if you have a scheduled meeting because they are with someone else.

When the three of us got back to the Stella Maris I asked Zarek if I went back, could I ask someone to go get the vendor. He said don't do that, but I could ask, "Will he be in soon?" and someone would probably get in touch with the vendor to let him know a customer was waiting.

Buying the SIM Cards

I went back at 3:30, and Tigo Adon was still closed. The neighbor was there and called the vendor. He told me to sit down and wait he would be there soon. So I waited. Ten minutes later the neighbor called again and relayed to me that he was on his way. Finally about 20 minutes after I walked up, Ali, the vendor, arrived. So the village worked. Ali was going to get business, and I was going to get my SIM cards. 

It is an interesting process to get a SIM card. Ali took two SIM cards out of their packaging and then took pictures of me and my passport. He worked on a app on his phone to send my information to the carrier. Tigo is one of the major carriers in Tanzania. About an hour after sending my information and not receiving confirmation, Ali took pictures again and re-sent the information. After about another forty minutes, the confirmation finally came through. Then Ali put the SIM card in an old phone of his and showed me the amount of data and the length of the pre-paid service. Finally he removed the SIM card, trimmed it to the right size and put it in my phone. Then it took a few more minutes to repeat the process with the hotspot. 

In total, it took three hours to complete the whole process. Ryan, Zarek, Kim, and I had talked a lot about the culture here, so I just calmly waited for everything to happen.

Interacting with People

I obviously stood out during this three hour process. I was the only white person around during the wait. Not a single white person walked or drove by. I was the object of a lot of curiosity. Ali's English is pretty good, so I could carry on a conversation with him. Right after he came we were in the next shack and two, then four, and within 10 minutes twelve friends, all crowded around the shack. Several tried to ask questions and I tried to understand and answer them. Ali finally took me back into his small shack to get away form the commotion, then they all left except one friend to watch a soccer game that was on. 

The people here are not shy talking about some things we Americans don't usually discuss, like the cost of things. They wanted to know how much I paid for my phone. I told them, then I asked how much their phones cost. 

Ali saw my birth year on my passport, so my age and how I look younger than my age was a topic for several minutes. I told them it was because I don't smoke, or drink and that I credit God. Later a Muslim friend showed up and I added that I have one wife. That started a conversation about Muslims having multiple wives. It was interesting, fun, and informative conversation.

Life here runs differently. Taking time to talk to people is not optional; it is essential if you are going to live here. 

Good night, I will post again soon,

Michael

2 comments:

  1. 🤣😂 just one wife!!! 🤣😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was a good way to get some conversation going. The man I was talking to was Muslim, so it was an interesting conversation.

      Delete